LGR – Compaq All-in-one 486 MS-DOS Computer Overview

April 16, 2010 by 24 Comments

This is an overview of the Compaq Presario 425 from 1993, a 486sx processor-based PC, as well 486 and Overdrive chipped machines in general. Also compares its speed to the 386 range of machines. During the early 90’s the 486 ruled all. But when things started progressing so quickly, it wasn’t enough and Overdrive CPUs and such addons became quite popular. Also following in the Macintosh’s footsteps came all-in-one case designs for some PCs.

Footage of:
Windows 3.1
PFS WindowsWorks
Symantec Game Pack
Test Drive III The Passion
DOOM
Duke Nukem 3D
Wolfenstein 3D

This is a response to some requests for footage of some of my systems “in action” instead of just a review. But that would be boring I think – so lots of facts, commentary and history as well.

You can still read up on the official HP site about this particular machine:

24 Replies to “LGR – Compaq All-in-one 486 MS-DOS Computer Overview”

1. Hey Clint! Still have the Compaq? Its working?

2. Mmmm, good old-fashioned VHS LGR…

3. Anyone else who watching this video in 2019?

4. Sam Wittsell says:

This was my very first LGR video back in early 2013, roughly March or April. It's good to go back to this.

5. Chris W. says:

Classic. You've come a long way sir. I think it's fantastic that whether the video is 10 years old or 10 days old.. you're still you. That's more than many can say. Keep up the good work.

6. SlCKB0Y says:

this was my very first computer … those were the days

7. Frank M says:

Who's here because of Ross' video? Because I am

8. SlCKB0Y says:

this computer was my very first one, i can remember the specs, and i assure you this one got upgraded 😉
    the original specs were 25mhz 486, 100mb hard drive, 4mb of ram.
    had it upgraded to 270meg of hd, 8mb of ram, and a sound blaster sound card/2x external cd rom combo. wish i knew about this overdrive chip back then 😉

9. Ohh man, looks like we have an 1974 120hp V8……

10. Like this comment if you see this in 2019 or 2029

11. Neolith100 says:

This… I never thought I would see one ever again. This was my first computer. Clint! I need it! How do? genuine inquiry!

12. Zayne Tice says:

OMG WE HAD THIS lol i loved it i ended up breaking it but we had all the same stuff on it and they paid 1000 for it brand new

13. Azza Johnson says:

You can download applications that will slow your dos games down now that you can run as a TSR in memory in dos. And converting games from a 5 1/4 inch to 3 1/2 disks isn’t that hard now either if you image the disk and extract the files onto a floppy.

14. Mediolanon says:

I have one with the 200 mb drive and 4 mb stock ram. Plastic is breaking off though.

15. Jenny Lee says:

With pick-up sticks you have to pick up the stick that is on top, unlike the physical board game where you have to pick up as many sticks as you can without them falling.

16. Just realized I'm watching this at 4:25 AM XDDDD

17. The guy from hangman is obviously odin

18. Bubi says:

looks like it was filmed in the 90s i like it

19. I remember having the 433 model. It came with a software called Print Shop Deluxe (or named similar) that was the equivalent of Microsoft Publisher. It you click to zoom in to much, to fast it will make the computer hang out up to one hour just to go from 50% to 500% (max zoom).

I also remember coming with an adventure game (point and click) about an island but I don't remember the name, anybody knows about it?

20. Time isn't linear! My future self (2021) told me to immediately watch this video from 2010 from my 2020 account and decided to watch right away! Woodland WA is where

21. Tyler Swagar says:

Points to 2010 LGR for what appears to be a Les Claypool shirt

22. OverRide says:

What kind of plugin you used for this VHS effect? 😉

23. RobS says:

Oh, man! I had the exact same model when I was in high school. It was only 90Mhz and 12MB ram, but it was awesome. Duke Nukem 3D ran fine, but Quake was too much.. Also, I had to hack the potentiometer to the pc speaker, because that thing was too loud for my late night gaming. Thanks for the memory trip!

24. Kohl X says:

Hello, my compaq allinone is really old, I decided to clean it up, and boot it, and see what's what.
    The memory check takes forever to complete, and when it does, the underline just blinks underneath the check. What could be the issue?