Anti-Gravity Wheel?

March 17, 2014 by 38 Comments

Explanation of gyro precession: http://bit.ly/U4e8HQ
More: http://bit.ly/GyroMORE
Less Than: http://bit.ly/GyroLESS
Equal To: http://bit.ly/GyroEQUAL

Huge thanks to A/Prof Emeritus Rod Cross, Helen Georgiou for filming, Alex Yeung, and Chris Stewart, the University of Sydney Mechanical Engineering shop, Duncan and co. Ralph and the School of Physics.

In this video I attempt to lift a 19kg (42 lbs) wheel over my head one-handed while it’s spinning at a few thousand RPM. This replicates an earlier experiment by Professor Eric Laithwaite. He claimed the wheel was ‘light as a feather’ and could not be explained by Newton’s Laws. I wanted to find out for myself what I really felt like.

Music By Kevin MacLeod www.Incompetech.com “Tempting Secrets”

38 Replies to “Anti-Gravity Wheel?”

1. In the video the wheel and your arm spin in the same direction… what will happen in the opposite direction???

2. Black Sun says:

Do not try this at home :-))

3. No body
    Guys at local akhada: 2:55

4. Neutron Doom says:

Could flying saucers use this tech in some way as well? If they exist

5. Plot twist: it was al CGI.

6. 안주형 says:

That's a wrap! Gal Gadot, Ryan Reynolds, and Dwayne Johnson say peace out to set life as production for their upcoming film #RedNotice finally wraps.

7. 1L-19 says:

Title is misspelled, it's anti-gravy.

8. Me : Wow ! A new video from Veritasium !
    YouTube : I will show it to you only 6 years later

9. "you may recognize this as Gyroscopic precession" lmao no I don't my dude. I'm just watching.

10. This is absolutely amazing! U might call me stupid for this question cuz idk much abt physics but can this be applied as artificial gravity in a spaceship (with say – theoretical unlimited power supply)?

11. Madhav madhu says:

What's happening,l can't understand

12. Which was the correct answer?
    Was it lighter or the same weight?

13. Al Pac ino says:

wonder if UFO spins the same way to make it lighter … but faster ?

14. big pompano says:

Was this how Tesla planned on traveling around on his stovelike apparatus ??

15. If you tried this before 1687. it woud be soo easy becouse Isac Newton didn't discover gravity before 1687.

16. This is more than 50 years old from the time when professor Eric Laithwaite was alive

17. Scientists: 1
    bodybuilders: 0

18. Joe D says:

This is why flying saucers make physical sense.

19. Simon C says:

Where is the answer?

20. You could incase this in Thor’s hammer with motor power and and secret button or finger print scanner on handle to activate it then you’ll look like the chosen one

21. Racer TV says:

Does he feel the weight when he holds it with two hands when it’s spinning or does the wheel have to go around in a circle to be weightless?

22. yjy Pyyj says:

"I want it to be as fast as possible. Keep going, keep going. 10 more seconds…"

proceeds to not lift it over his head and deliver a 20 second intro

23. He said my weight is 72Kg… Commoonnnnnnn

24. HE'S THE WORTHY ONE!

25. thomas lemon says:

This is applicable to time travel, light can be sped up with mirrors and gyroscopes… All I will say with out being in trouble

26. thomas lemon says:

How the pyramids were built… lol jk I don't know

27. But gravity is not a force. It doesn't exist…

28. Ball bearing: "aight.. imma head out"

29. 5:12 Que fue??….cuanto marcó la balanza??
    What was it?…how much weight was registered in the balance??

30. Imagine that with a wheel on each side

31. “Undaunted by my lack of strength”

32. have you ever tried pushing it down??

33. Oh woow…amazing 🔥🔥

34. I give the guys credit for the fun demonstrations which make classical mechanics fun to learn about. I majored in Physics bc I had a knack for it, but I hated the subject. I was even put into an honors program based on my performance during my 1st semester freshman year, but I would rather get a root canal than study elastic collisions and simple harmonic motion. However, this demonstration and the one w plasma created in a microwave might've helped me appreciate the fun of physics. In an ideal world, education funding in USA would be invested in bringing these sorts of demonstrations into the schools rather than the political propaganda our kids suffer thru. Perhaps this particular experiment would not be a practical demonstration for classroms, but maybe a 5lb weight flywheel instead so high schoolers to feel the effect themselves? Would cost too much to put together sturdy fly wheels????? Maybe. I dunno. But I bet these guys could come up w something that could make it into the classroom.

35. Karthik P says: