Primitive Technology: Cord drill and Pump drill

I made a cord drill and then upgraded it to a pump drill. A cord drill is basically a spindle with a fly wheel attached so it looks like a spinning top. the middle of a piece of cord is then put into a notch at the top of the spindle. The ends of the cord are then wrapped around the spindle and then pulled quickly outwards causing the drill to spin. The momentum of the fly wheel causes the cord to wrap back around the spindle in the other direction. When it stops the cords are pulled outwards again and the drill spins in the other direction.
I made the first one with a stone flywheel then made fire with it in the same way I make fire with fire sticks. Then I made and fired some clay fly wheels, made another drill with one of the fly wheels and fitted a stone drill bit to the end. This one I use for drilling holes in wood.
I used the new drill to make a hole in a piece of wood. I then put the spindle of the original cord drill through the hole in the wood, tied the ends of the cord onto the piece of wood and it became a pump drill. The cords were wrapped round the spindle as normal but now a pumping action of the wooden cross bar created the same action.
This was an interesting project. For fire making I’d stick to fire sticks because the equipment is easier to make. But for people with soft hands they could use the cord drill as it won’t give them blisters. It should be added that the pump drill actually took longer than the cord drill (cord: 32 seconds, pump 1 min 30 seconds -the pump drill scene was edited down to make it watchable). The pump drill had more moving parts and was constantly having problems. As a fire making method I’d choose the cord drill over the pump drill unless all the parts were well made.

The main purpose I’d use these tool for is drilling holes rather than fire making. It was reasonably good but the stone bits I made could be improved and their attachment to the shaft also needs some thought. If the bit loosens and gets off axis slightly the whole thing wobbles.
These drills are impressive inventions and show potential for carpentry use later on.

WordPress: https://primitivetechnology.wordpress.com/
Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2945881&ty=h
I have no face book page. Beware of fake pages.

36 Replies to “Primitive Technology: Cord drill and Pump drill”

1. Ella Piron says:

It's weird thinking of him sitting at a computer editing this

2. Aprovechen si se quedan en el rapto

3. De putísima madre👌🔥👌 sabía que la piedra iba a servir para dar peso y estabilidad

4. Cut Scene's says:

Ormani yakacan video çekiyim diye. Hayirsiz herif

5. Hakan yiğit says:

https://youtu.be/K6TExf6DR7o lütfen abone olmayı unutmayın 😀 aranızdan biri

6. FGJISFGKMXDU DJJXNK gjudwwjkb, +56¬÷}

7. Realizing he had a stack of a million views

8. Mark Schoene says:

Its Nice to See a man similiar a Neandertaler for 50.000 Years to work

9. Alperenctk says:

KIRIYOSUN PARAYI MELİİİHHH

10. Simple Ez says:

это гениально

11. Я один здесь русский

12. А у меня есть 1 вопрос? Откуда у него камера, и откуда её вообще взял

13. Hussain ASD says:

get a god damn lighter

14. When the apocalypse happens and I have to live off the land I’m gonna be glad I spent so much time watching these videos

15. CRH channel says:

Ada kriket anjing ribet amat dah, tinggal ckessss langsung nyala bego

16. Shivam Dixit says:

He can be in the show Man vs. Wild after Bear Grylls

17. This technique in India has agnihotri category

18. John Pepito says:

Me: afraid of the dark when i alone
    Scary sound.
    The guy:oh its just a ghost

19. đúng là công sức con người không có gì có thể koh làm được

20. abner lima says:

Kd o Viniccius13? Para fazer uma farm de combustão.

21. Squidward : Wow primitif 😯

22. BORN2KILL says:

2000YEARS LATER PRIMITIVE TECHNOLOGY HOW TO MAKE A SMART PHONE

23. From a golden age to a future of televised ZZZZZZZZOMBIESZZZZZZZZZZZZZ WITH the HEAD'S full stones READ the comments and voila the age when humans don't even know their history in between they believe being in space , moon and soon on mars and all from CIA Hollywood Inc LOLOL 😂😂😂😂😂😂.

24. Håkon Stene says:

Itz weird how the last comment on this awsome video was from 2016

25. Lots of wilderness survival videos say you gotta do all of this and that to keep your hearthboard totally still and transfer the ember and this and that…

Quite smart to just sit it right in your tinder pile instead. Probably how it's been done just about since we started doing it.