LGR – Strangest Computer Designs of the ’70s

May 26, 2017 by 49 Comments

The 1970s. As the personal computer concept was still being defined, many of these machines appeared “strange” at the time simply because they were the first of their kind! Let’s take a look at some that stand out the most for their design and significance.

● Consider supporting LGR on Patreon:

● Social links:

● Music used in order of appearance:
Never As Lonely, Beam Me Up

49 Replies to “LGR – Strangest Computer Designs of the ’70s”

1. Jan Fluitsma says:

Datapoint was my first employer in 1980. I learned the 2200 inside out and did many repairs on it.

2. My father worked for Datapoint. They developed the first true local area network. I was only 14 or 15 when i got to play with them, but they were pretty slick desktop minicomputers. The 1800 series had Dual 8” floppy drives, and 10mb interchangeable “Cynthia” disk packs. I still have a few lying around in a barn..

3. Zaicol says:

0:21
    This video is the choice of the Steins Gate.

4. Shao Fu says:

very interesting
    good work
    kudos m/

5. who needs a computer; I would have said; I have nothing to compute.

6. Portable computer weighing in at 20lbs! Godddaaammmnnnn.

7. Dillon Perry says:

LGR
    DO A VIDEO ABOUT WIN10 CONTAINING LITERAL SPYWARE 😁
    I set up new machines all the time at work and I'm appalled at the screen that asks how much of your data you'd like to give Microsoft for profit.

8. xjohnny1000 says:

Show this to someone from the 1960s
    *mind blown

9. It would have been so cool to see Xerox dominate the computer industry not just HP or Dell. Xerox could've done more than just printers.

10. Magno Avatar says:

Como a Bahia era atrasada! Eu só fui conhecer e trabalhar com computador nos anos 1990!

11. 4:35 For $450 you get the textbook AND the hardware AND the course? Man was this thing ahead of it's time. That'd be a fantastic price even now!

12. amaxamon says:

I want an Alto.

13. Nizam Jamil says:

One of this is a SCP

14. i came for the sims reviews but i stayed for great content like this. LGR, doubt you’ll read this, but you have some of the best content on YT.

15. Darren C says:

At 2:32 looks like a character from The Brave Little Toaster.

16. How about the Informer series of computer terminals from the late 1970s. The D-304 and 401 terminals are what I remember

17. Can't wait to see the Strangest computer designs of the 2010's.

18. It's going to be weird look back to our mobiles and laptops 40 years from now

19. Steve B says:

Looks like somebody beat Steve Wozniak to it.

20. Derp Cookies says:

I just clicked to see Bilbo Baggins

21. The sad thing about the Xerox Alto (and even Steve Jobs makes this comment in a few interviews) is that Xerox could have "owned" the GUI interface. But because the board didn't see the GUI or mouse technology as viable for the time, they essentially gave the ideas away to others (like MS and Apple). I mean without the Alto, we may be 10-15 years behind in GUI interfaces.

22. Strange computers of the 2010s when LGR?

23. The first personal computer I remember was the Commodore Vic 20. I had access to a Univac 1108 with Hazeltine 2000 and Omron monitors, through a student aid job I had in high school. Learned a bit about Fortran 5 and ASCII Colbol. Kind got away from computers in the 80's and ended up working in Physical Therapy for almost 30 years. But wow this was a blast from the past.

24. Benzona says:

I always called the "8008" the Boob so i guess that shows my maturity

25. ZPLAYZ says:

You know you've gone back in time when your storage capacity is less than your ram.

26. Whatever. Not strange or weird. It was the technology and design for the time. You couldn't go out and buy an iPad, could you? What do you expect? This is just a bunch of pictures taken from a computer history museum and made into a video. Click-bait.

27. tomahzo says:

1:48 : "Assembly language interpreter"? What sense does that make ;)? Was it a virtual assembly language for a virtual machine or…? I know BASIC interpreters were common in those days but typically you'd use assembly to get proper performance out of the machine. But if you're going to somehow run an interpreter it feels like that performance gain is lost.

28. I'd like to find out about a unit that wasn't in this video: In 1975, the school I was in (Paidea in Atlanta, GA if this rings a bell for anyone) got a visit from a thing made by HP or TI (I can't remember which, and not 100% sure it was either one, but these ring a bell for me) that I think was called a calculator, but actually had a BASIC interpreter and a 4(?) line display (with not very long lines) as well as a narrow format thermal(?) dot matrix printer built in, and was roughly the size of a medium-sized PC case (and was definitely portable). It had a derivative of a QWERTY keyboard (with full-sized keys) that had a bunch of BASIC statements printed on the keycaps (I can't remember how many of them were separate keys and how many of them were shifted from QWERTY keys — if I remember correctly it had some of both — either way, I think the work of tokenization was done when you pressed these keys, although the BASIC statements did appear as multiple characters on the display).

29. DoctorX17 says:

I like the blue of the very first one to appear on screen. We need more of that blue.

30. ramiro cruz says:

I don't know how I landed here on this channel but I'm definitely not leaving before subscribing! 🌟💯🤓

31. WhyteLis21 says:

PC back then were for high rollers. Investing in computers must not be a major thing for your average joe. Looks like people buy more expensive cars than pc back then too. 😁

32. Hear “Kingston Ontario Canada” makes me go hey I live there

33. Ann K says:

Gossip one of My friends wanted to work with computers. But the scool she was put in to, would No have it. They put her in a work for country buiesnes education insted. Paying for a education not chosen by self, and used for free work, many plases create a lot of resentment in the long run.

34. Please do strangest computer of the 2010s

35. xenobriotic says:

Thank you for putting the apostrophe in the right place. 🙃

36. wow 2 cassette tapes in it. Where's the space for the 8-track?<joking LOL! hahaha! thx for posting!

37. I actually purchased "The TV Typewriter Cookbook " You could turn your Dad's Quasar into a 32 line graphic monitor. With resolution as good as a cheap dot matrix printer. Oh those were the days.

38. In 1978 I bought a Radio Shack computer it was all in one, a keyboard, a b&w screen, and two 5" floppy disk drives. I could even attach to Compuserve. (an AOL type service) It was only $2,500. I also bought a daisy wheel strike printer also $2,500. It would display a full line of type about 80 characters and about 40 lines. The Apple product at the time would only display 40 characters. It had a word processor program and a spreadsheet program.

39. All Gaming says:

1:31: The computer built for Homer

40. Nippy Preet says:

Hahahaha, ediots they should have invented today's standards, they were working on wrong machines, better if they have invented iPhone in 70s

41. Rob webnoid says:

I never worked on any of these computers. I did tinker with a Hewlett-Packard HP-87. Or maybe it was an 85 or 86. This was at the electrical engineering section of the university I studied at back in the late 1980's, 1986 or so. Granted, these HP's were made in the early 1980's, but their case design did reflect that old integrated CRT & keyboard architecture of the 1970's terminal, as well as TRS-80's Model III-IV's. It was nice, it had advanced high level Basic, so I could use it to map out graphics charts using graphic commands & not pokes & peeks for EE homework. I kept one of the little programming booklets to this day. There was also some mainframe at the university, which I can't recall what it was, but it was what we had to use to study the Pascal language. I still also have Commodore 64's, three of them, the 1st one bought in 1983. I also had a chance to buy a KIM-1 kit that I spotted at a store in the early 1980's but never bought it, but I don't really care to anymore.

42. Peter G says:

Could they run Crysis ….

43. Zencomeseasy says:

Xerox "inspired" the GUI.

44. Little Jenny says:

Jeez did the company that made the Compucolor just have a large batch of letter keys and didn't care what color they were?

45. B Poudel says:

How many of you know MCM/70's founder Mers is still around? I am so happy to come to know this man and be a good friend with. See his interview on my channel.