Enable Monitor Mode & Packet Injection on a Raspberry Pi Zero W Using Nexmon

December 15, 2018 by 34 Comments

Use an RPi for Monitor Mode Without an External Adapter
Full Tutorial: http://bit.ly/MMforPi
Subscribe to Null Byte: https://goo.gl/J6wEnH
Kody’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/KodyKinzie

The Raspberry Pi is already a powerful device perfect for on-the-go hacking or war driving. But up until recently, no Pi has been capable of being put into monitor mode or achieve packet injection without a wireless adapter. We’ll show you how you can update your Pi to make it an all-in-one hacking device on this episode of Cyber Weapons Lab.

Pi Zero W Starter Kit: https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Wireless-Complete-Starter/dp/B072N3X39J/?tag=whtnb-20
Pi Zero W alone: https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Zero-Wireless-model/dp/B06XFZC3BX/?tag=whtnb-20
Pi 3 Mode B+: https://www.amazon.com/ELEMENT-Element14-Raspberry-Pi-Motherboard/dp/B07BDR5PDW/?tag=whtnb-20

Twitter: https://twitter.com/nullbytewht
Flipboard: https://flip.it/3.Gf_0
Weekly newsletter: https://eepurl.com/dE3Ovb

34 Replies to “Enable Monitor Mode & Packet Injection on a Raspberry Pi Zero W Using Nexmon”

1. Aitch Pea says:

Harumph. I have a revision 2 pi, which doesn't have built in WiFi.

2. Hey im sorry for asking but do you need a wifi interface for this?

3. Geoo says:

Hi m8. I tried it. I see APs in airodump-ng, it is OK. But when i tried to run aireplay-ng, i have no responses from all APs and also missing line: "Injection is working!". All requests on all APs are 0/30: 0%. Do you know where problem could be please ? Should i specify a channel or what is wrong ? Thanx a lot for help.

4. Tech XZ says:

How Ralink mt7601u wifi adapter driver install in respberry pi 3B?… Please link share me….

5. great video! why do you sudo if you are already root?

6. this doesnt work for my raspberry pi zero, it showing that its on. but no ip address and there no way to put it on tv becasue it came with no hdmi cord please help.

7. The manual installation of all the kernels didn't work for my 3b something about the Kali bootloader so I'm at odds now. I can't install the image cos I don't have SD card reader.

8. None of it's working for me I'm afraid. I'm running a 3b with Kali Linux image. I can't figure out why it can't find any package by regex raspberrypi_bootloader_4.9.80_armhf.dev

9. Mon0up doesn't work

10. I dont know whay but mine isnt picking up anything

11. shadowless says:

I truly respect you for sticking to legitimate sources, instead of the others that just push to their own Dropbox/gdive/site. At best this shouldn't be trusted, in other cases it shouldn't be trusted and is outdated.

12. Hey there, thanks for the instruction.

I'm running into some problem though, the following message pops-up in my terminal and my install proces quits.

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/kalipi-kernel_4.14.93-20190126_armhf.deb (–unpack):

unable to make backup link of './boot/overlays/audiosense-pi.dtbo' before installing new version: Operation not permitted

dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Any idea how to fix that?

13. Miles says:

Hi, can someone help me set up my Raspberry pi 3 on my laptop please. Really been struggling to set up these past few weeks

I'm also finding it hard to boot up my wireless adapter…any help would be very much appreciated. Peace

14. can you still ssh to it using the wifi ? or need to usb ssh ?

15. IoT Guy says:

Is this working in Raspberry Pi 3b+ .
    I got this error : Errors were encountered while processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/kalipi-kernel_4.14.93-20190126_armhf.deb

16. IoT Guy says:

Can u give the link for fresh installation of rpi-Kali with Nexmon preinstalled image for Raspberry Pi 3B+…It would be very helpful
    Thanks

17. Nilesh Kumar says:

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1 running kali-linux-2019-4-rpi3-nexmon-64-img
    Linux 4.19.81-Re4son-v8l+

brcmfmac (Broadcom 2711)

soon as i start monitor mode using monstart i lose my SSH connection, and the Pi doesnt show in my network scan… monitor mode and WiFi aren't working in parallel. is there a fix for pi 4?

18. Joe Elliot says:

How do i put my rasp pi4 into monitor mode? Should i follow the same steps?

19. What is the link to the github page

20. Hello. This is interesting information. Could this be used to observe other 5GHz signals? Not wifi. I'm curious about how DJI's 5GH'z controller works. It's not a standard wifi signal. However is is still in the 5GH'z space according to the FCC docs.

21. I been doing the p4wn pi aola set up got it all going great even patched pifmrds to work on it. Although using external usb WiFi adapters like the tp link wont work they work in my pi 3 model b with the stock Kali Linux image is there something with nexmon firmware that disables the use of external adapters on the zero w? It shows my adapter in lsusb if that helps narrow anything down but in airmon-ng doesn't list it at all like on my pi 3b and I am using a powered otg hub.

22. If anyone get the error:

dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

try:

rm -rd /boot/overlays

don't reboot, install the kernel.
    (you could also rename the folder overlays)
    source @t

23. RisedSky says:

When installing it it instant crash my raspberry, any suggestion ?

24. Bro is there any other link for sticky finger Kali Linux because I couldn't get the file from that link…though I have 1-2mb /s of internet connection…

25. 8packK says:

Anyone know how to setup Kali on the pi zero w headless? Can't find it anywhere. Looked on the kali linux support forum amongst other things. Thanks.

26. Golbez says:

will this work on the pi 4 model b?

27. Epic AF says:

WHERE IS MY SON!!!! 😃

28. Is it possible to make a Video about the Raspberry Pi 4 Monitor Mode and Wifi Hacking?

29. monstart is the command if u have problems

30. Tech Gamez says:

Hello, please can you make a video on how to connect a wireless internet adapter to a raspberry pi 3b

31. Tech Gamez says:

Hi, also can you tell that will this work on raspberry pi 3b and can we use this for wifi hacking

32. Tech Gamez says: