Upgrading the Checkmate Amiga 1200! Indivision AGA, PCMCIA etc

July 24, 2020 by 28 Comments

Adding all kinds of stuff to the LGR Commodore A1200 build! Indivision AGA MK2cr, PCMCIA Compact Flash, 15-pin PC joystick support, swapping the mouse ball for laser, upgrading the Kickstart ROM, along with plenty of little tweaks and fixes.

● LGR links:

● Music courtesy of:

#LGR #Amiga #Upgrades

28 Replies to “Upgrading the Checkmate Amiga 1200! Indivision AGA, PCMCIA etc”

1. LGR says:

The PCMCIA issue is fixed! Turns out the memory expansion's RAM was conflicting, so I needed to move a jumper from 8MB down to 5.5MB. Not an ideal solution, but I've ordered another board that won't cause issues. Also, I got some custom PCI brackets for the DVI and USB ports! Here's a video on my other channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBECeXVTz2Q

2. Don Plant says:

Why do you never adjust your monitors?

3. Lightblue says:

for the laser mouse i got also this ugly color for 3d printed part…. DAMN IT for the price comeon!

4. iamthedavel says:

Individual computers just released the AGA V3 video scan doubler. Probably will sell out quickly… I've been waiting years to get one for my A1200.

5. Cosmo Dookie says:

Amiga was such a nice Computer-System (for me especially my A500 Plus) but always wanted to have a 1200 back in the days.

Of course more and more during the 90s Amiga became obsolet.. Even so.. there is a certain charme a certain style that stands for Amiga..

6. Cosmo Dookie says:

Never seen an Amiga with a be-quiet power-supply before! πŸ˜€

7. Frank Henchy says:

* There's some Ship Of Theseus going on. How much can you upgrade and still call it an Amiga 1200?
    * Blue DVI feels wroooong.
    * "I have a plan" sounds like BDG saying "kill two birds with one stone" to me now.

8. This is the only YouTube channel I actually need.

9. mouses have to by heavy not lighter!!!!!!

10. LL L says:

know tydytydytydytydy

11. "Checkmate" brand? Sounds like Davie504's iconic catchphrase…

12. crapcbm says:

you can use a bracket of a grafikcard with dvi and vga ports

13. Good video. I never had a Commodore Amiga, I regretted opting for a PC back in 1990 to replace my Commodore 128. I still regret that!

14. LeoGotRock says:

Back in high school we used to steal the trackballs from the mouse and fuckin just DESTROY each other

15. Liam White says:

I have a spare A1200 that's collecting dust and could do with an upgrade! I know what to do with it now. Thanks =)

16. Gh0st620 says:

Along the lines of that type of driving game, Street Rod 1 and 2 are awesome. At least through emulation, Amiga version looks much better than dos.

17. I'd use the internal PCMCIA as a permanent "hard drive" and use the optical drive for easy file transfer, no PCMCIA CF adapter sticking out the side, waiting to be knocked out by things like that LGR mug and whatnot right in the middle of loading something.

18. I love you LGR but we are TOTALLY DIFFERENT ! I love my "classic" computers as "original" as possible. No mods, no "new cases" etc, etc but I still do respect you.

19. Lol – at 19 minute, this is how average PC user is surprised how easy it was to fix that libs missing.
    He still can't believe he fixed it, so he had to restart Workbench.
    Only Amiga makes is possible! πŸ™‚
    Great vid – by the way. πŸ™‚

20. 2:39 I know it's not the star of the show, but I had that same Compaq monitor back in the day. No, not the one in the shot, the one just off camera on the right with the side mounted speakers. 15" Compaq Presario?

21. Pat says:

Can you build some games for the system. Something like how the 8bit guy did. Would like to see your twist on game development for old hardware

22. Pat says:

They have CF adapters that can fit in the card slot so you can swap the CF from the back of the system

23. Cd roms handy for cdrom games and cd32 emulation.

24. Scott Tait says:

Why not fit usb & dvi on the blanking plate you forgot about! …would make more sense and cost you only a bit if time

25. rambobunny1 says:

giving grandpa hip replacement

26. Sith Yarael says:

I like a heavy mouse. Helps with gaming to make those fine adjustments. Yet that is just me. And yes I know I am older than you and remember those mice with balls in them. Just had to clean the rollers off every other week. Yet that is what I started with thus I like the heavy mice.