16MB 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee GPU from 1998: Quantum3D Raven

August 21, 2020 by 41 Comments

San Francisco Rush on the PC in 1998? Yep, only with the Quantum 3D Raven Voodoo Banshee! The video card itself is nothing terribly special on its own, despite its glossy black PCB. But the software it came with is quite unique indeed.

● Download the drivers/software CD-ROM here:

● And here’s the patch for San Francisco Rush The Rock Alcatraz Edition for PC:

● LGR links:

● Music courtesy of:

#LGR #VideoCard #Retrospective

41 Replies to “16MB 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee GPU from 1998: Quantum3D Raven”

1. LGR says:

At one point I misspoke and said it had a 100 hertz clock. Obviously meant 100 megahertz, heh.

Also! Since recording this video, installer music has made a return with Flight Simulator 2020. I now regret requesting more installer music.

2. Farren Minns says:

NFL Blits still looks good to me! 🙂

3. Man……. I forgot what Windows 98 looked like.

4. Coderjo says:

The Rush arcade hardware ran on windows and had a 3d card. I don't know which offhand. Perhaps Quantum3D supplied those cards as well, and that's how they got the pack-in pc port deal?

Edit: I guess I meant Rush 2049 was on windows. The Rock Alcatraz Edition apparently ran on a MIPS R5000, though still with 3dfx graphics.

5. man this old hardware is so mechanically satisfying

6. What happens if you use a VOODOO Banshee as the main card for an SLI VOODOO II setup?

7. georgef551 says:

A 3D card with a DEC chip? Had to have been by HP, as they bought DEC, and shut it down, way before then.

8. It's cool the PC version ran at 60hz, but the visuals were ass compared to the arcade version. We should have seen video cards based off the Model 3 GPU instead.

9. BØLT says:

"That's unfortunate, but… so is Gex" LOL

10. Tommy Paris says:

Riva TNT 2 Ultra, double price of voodoo, i remember graphics was shock some times and crush, riva tnt 2 ultra was best with 32 megabytes, from NVidia i had 1998, tell the truth to people! Today Tnt are the RTX 3090, again the greatest!! Where is the voodoo to many years? May you remember voodoo bunshe doesnt can run the Alien Versus predator only riva tnt 2 ultra 32 mb! 1998 voodoo was only 16 bit! With diamond card better even from voodoo with matrox to goes down fake graphics and first tnt 2 ultra, so why was only for business? Now are the Giant with ATI AMD to follow back always behind, double price but gold nvidias works the others silver followers! My pc pentium 3 mmx 450 mhz, 262 mb ram with extra device next to dim on mboard, plato pc most expensive 3800 $, im byuing voodoo bunshee and when im see to a friend the differents of rivas from mine voodoo crystal 3d i return back i paid difference 150 dollars and 150$ voodoo 320 $ but my pc 2001 pentium 3 450 mhz was playing easy to full graphics 1280 x 1024 the game max payne which this game was minimum requirements needings: processor 1000 mhz at least 256 mb s memoory ram, strange for me was my new 2000 pentium 4 1.7 ghz does not run with a good card graphics for this year was sis but all central unit, costs like 1000 $, unfortunatelly i do not have money for buy the special turbo pc, i remeber price was 5000$ pentium 4 nvidia 6800 ultra fx again 1024 mb vidoram the topest pc too with 2048 memory ddr, my pentium 3 was sdram but max payne for requirements play very easily, so im open case changhe my processor with a pentium 4 for try because i did not know yet hows works systems pc, so i was press power and floop, burn like a lamp, now i feel bad cause i had the best unit on city!!

11. Swayybaby says:

Please do a gameplay on midtown madness with that computer

12. Paul Allinen says:

i had that card and when i bought i thought i was the best in the world

13. darkbounD says:

Nice video! I think your channel is great and I really like it 👍 Thank you for your great work👋👾

14. Where is the handbrake in Road Rash

15. hueh hueh says:

omg rush, I played that game soo much

16. Ultradude says:

Voodoo 3dfx blew my mind when it came out. Computer graphics and frame rate went from shit to great!

17. Shane Kelley says:

omg.. the win 98 sounds, the 3dfx splash when you started things up… My brain went through a "staring at the wall" childhood pc gaming nostalgia trip for like 3 minuntes. I gotta build myself a classic machine like this someday. I saved up for a while as a 15 year old kid to buy my first 3dfx voodoo card. I think it's still at my parents house in a box somewhere….

18. Bryan C says:

Active Shutter glasses review!!!! PLEASE!!!

19. I had to click this video i still use a Lian LI PC-65. I bought a new Motherboard tray and a 3 slot fan bay with hard drive mounts so it looks more modern.

20. pacxel says:

Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe Edition on pc is just as weird.

21. Oh gods, the flash back…yellow archer needs food…yellow archer needs food badly, yellow archer is about to die….

22. E M says:

Only had problems with the voodoo card, always crashed never performed as expected, I dont know if I had a dud or it was just a terrible unstable card. Huge waste of money for me.

23. THEYOUTUTOS says:

Nostalgic!!Thanks for It..

24. ViceCommando says:

Love this game. Best arcade game ever. But this is really dissappointing.
    Its missing everything arcade was. Running poorly, missing some effects, backrounds are messed up…
    First I was so excited (I have to have this!), but the port just sucks… sad days.

25. Nelson Stack says:

reminds me of gta 2

26. 8:00AM sunday morning (work night shift) getting ready for bed eating a bowl of spicy noodles watching an LGR video, perfect.

27. LGR, can you do a video on the Voodoo 3 1000 which came about with a partnership with Compaq?

28. bloodnokian says:

My first vid card was a Voodoo 3 2000 AGP, it was the bomb back in the day for palying Quake 3.

29. New Town says:

Man this was like my 1st card . Damn Creative Labs 3D Blaster Banshee. Couldn't figure out why my computer kept stalling after 30 minutes of playing. I then figured I had to put a house fan next to my computer and remove the side panel to get it to work correctly. Ahhh the days when air flow was not looked at when building a pc.

30. Do you know you sound exactly like Mr Burns when you say "excellent"?

31. A-Are you kidding me??? My favorite arcade racer of all time was on the PC as EARLY AS '98!? AND I HAD NO IDEA???????????????????
    I'm dead.

32. PharaoahMonk says:

i am proud to say as an old school gamer that my first 3dfx card was a Black Magic Voodoo2. i remember it was prohibitely expensive for those days but my parents made great effort and bought it for me. it was like a 2 months paycheck during those days in my country. i was blown away by then graphics.

33. Kai0nTheMoon says:

A racing game set in San Francisco today would have you driving through human feces and homeless meth addicts.

34. Tall Paul says:

I had the Jazz Adrenaline Multimedia 3Dfx Voodoo Rush 6MB card and it came with Interstate 76, Mechwarrior Mercenaries: 3dfx Edition, and Turok. It wasn't until much later that I learned what a bad card this one is.

35. toshineon says:

I'd love to build a late 90's gaming PC. And while it isn't especially hard or expensive to find some decent components, eBay annoys me like crazy. Listings like "VINTAGE RARE" (2500 listings). Like, why?!

36. Those stupid rebates, you only got them 50% of the time at best. Oh the memories.

37. AH AH says:

banshee was a voodoo 2 rush…

38. DragonNexus says:

I'm so used to the British voice of Gex, which painted him as a more suave, deep voiced Bond style character saying casual, dry one liners. American version is way too tubular for me.

39. wow blitz was one of my fave games to play when i had a banshee, with thurstmaster gamepads