How to Choose the Best Backend in Mobile App Development for Your Projects?
You cannot build a mobile app development project without choosing the right backend architecture. Planning a mobile application project requires attention to detail. Backend operations, commonly called BAAS (Backend as a Service), play a significant role in mobile app development.
There are so many backend alternatives available for mobile developers. However, selecting the inapt backend functions can cost your project badly. Talk to the mobile development experts to find the best backend platform for your project.
Keep reading to discover more about backend platforms. This blog post will help you understand how to choose the best backend in mobile app development.
What are frontend and backend?
When someone talks about a website/app they come across, always the frontend – the visual appeal the user experienced is what comes to our mind. You may not be aware of the difference between the frontend and backend contrast to the frontend. It is the backend that creates the magic.
Backend is like a powerful engine that drives the frontend of the website/app. The user/visitor doesn’t get to see how the backend functions. Backend operations are the developer’s arena, and the codes decide how the frontend responds to the user’s click.
Backend operations are relatively new, and much emphasis is given to them in the IT industry since mobile projects began to gain popularity. It would be best to have a team of developers, not a single person, to work on the mobile project. Each member of the mobile app backend development team participates in the project completion with his/her unique skills. The skills of every developer are crucial in shaping a successful project.
These days, most of the mobile applications are designed for Android and iOS operating systems and some work on both known as Hybrid mobile app development. The developer uses Java or Kotlin as a backend for Android apps. Swift programming is one of the trusted backend platforms for IOS applications.
Using different backend programming languages for Android and IOS are known as native applications. However, this is not the case with explicit hybrid or cross-platform mobile applications – single applications work on both (Android & IOS) platforms. Hybrid is wrapped in native settings to give a similar experience as Android and IOS.
Importance of right backend for development
Remote servers host backend for app development. Backend web development also uses remote servers. In any case, frontend always runs on mobile devices.
You need the right backend or virtual servers to exchange data, communicate through the internet. It is machine-to-machine communication.
You need appropriate storage, database, validate user authentication, push notifications and strong communication to enable the mobile application to work without a glitch. There are several technologies to support backend operations. Let’s move ahead and list out the backend technologies.
PHP, Java J2EE, ASP.Net MVC are considered classic programming by backend software engineers. Yahoo, WordPress, Wikipedia, NASA world, are some of the famous apps that uses PHP language as their backend.
The four best mobile backend technologies are AWS, Parse, Kinvey and Firebase.
New backend frameworks include NodeJs with Angular, React Js with Angular, Angular with Firebase, Firebase Only, Ruby with Firebase.
Backend decisions are chosen generally on specific parameters. These parameters may affect the decision depending on cost overheads or other APIs. Consider the parameters discussed below to decide the necessity of a backend for your mobile app.
Parameters to consider while choosing the backend
Some apps in the market don’t need an active internet connection to function. You would only need the internet to download them. Such apps do not require backend parameters. Apps like the calculator, camera, voice recorder and similar such apps work without a backend.
Undoubtedly, in some prominent cases, a backend is necessary. Let’s check the parameters one by one that needs a backend platform with examples.
When your app requires an admin panel, admin desk or webpage, you need a backend team to manage the frontend of your application.
- Amazon/Flipkart: It is an e-commerce store where the products are listed out. Users browse through such a vast catalogue of items constantly changed, renewed and replaced by new ones.
- Netflix/Prime Video: All such video streaming platforms require an admin desk to manage the video files streamed seamlessly on the user’s frontend.
All such apps that require verification of uploaded images require admin panels. Admins review the pictures and give authentication and send approval to use the app.
When your app requires updates every day or frequently
- Stock Apps: App must be able to fetch fluctuation of prices and displays on the screen.
- Weather: App that checks the weather needs a backend team to upload fresh data frequently.
When the app uses synchronize facility to function better
- Photos: It is an excellent example of synchronization. Pictures taken on the mobile phone are visible on other devices.
- Reminders: Another fine example as Reminders synchronizes across devices – it can be added on the phone, or a tablet can view and edit on other devices.
To recover and restore you need a backend operation
- Images: When you change your phone, backups are automatically restored from the cloud.
- Notifications: In the same way, notified reminders are pulled back from the previous settings.
Send and receive payments
- E-commerce stores: Users transfer money for the products purchased on their mobile app.
- Travel and Food deliveries: All these app process payments initiate refunds to the users.
- Service apps: Users book for the required service and make payment after completion of service.
When users communicate within the app
- Messenger: All social messaging apps require a strong backend operation to streamline the app functionality efficiently.
- Fetch and retrieve financial data: All banking and finance applications require a strong backend team to support the requests given by the users at the front end.
When your app requires collecting statistical data or sends promotions, updates and notifications
- News app: These apps are constantly sending new updates and notifications based on user’s interest. A backend team works to ensure the best results are matched and displayed on the screen.
Classification of projects that uses backend as a service
Social media apps & Real-time chat applications
Social media apps require authentication, database to store user’s information. You need a highly trained backend team to manage login panels, posts that include text, documents, images and videos.
There are third party libraries to be included, real-time chats, push notifications to require Backend as a service (BaaS). Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter and WhatsApp are examples that need Baas.
Hiring apps (Travel pickup/Food)
BaaS is not all about managing general features like authentication, real-time chats and managing push notifications. Bass manages taxi apps and parcel service’s apps that require managing the location of the users. Developing applications based on geolocation is easier than ever before using Baas.
Video and music streaming apps
As discussed earlier, video streaming apps require BaaS to work efficiently. The backend developers can handle different database portfolios effectively through Baas. Email verification and subscription process etc are well managed
Undoubtedly, the BaaS team needs to look into the games and puzzles that require authentication, update user scores, track the progress of different users, and suggest alternatives to modify the preferences and service as per the need.
We discussed how Backend Vs. Frontend functions and the apps require backend operations & Mobile App Development services like the admin panel, virtual servers, data authentication, and storage to maintain the database.
Classic mobile backend services and new backend techniques are listed out to save time. Get in touch with the best mobile developers to choose the most suitable backend for your mobile based projects to offer seamless navigation to your users.