Building a Windows 95 PC! Socket 7 AMD K6 & 3Dfx

June 11, 2021 by 49 Comments

Assembling a 1997-era Socket 7 system running an AMD K6 processor paired with the classic Asus P/I-P55T2P4 motherboard! Of course, it’s also packing a 3dfx Voodoo card, a wavetable-capable sound card, and good old Windows 95. And it plays POD. Lovely!

● LGR links:

● Other pertinent linkage:
GlitchWorks clock chips:

Mark’s 3D printed drive carriers:

Geekenspiel stickers and case badges:

● All background music courtesy of:

#LGR #Retro #Computers

49 Replies to “Building a Windows 95 PC! Socket 7 AMD K6 & 3Dfx”

1. Ok fine LGR I will indulge in your Jazz and soothing deep voice

2. Tom F says:

Make sure you run the proper exe for pod and that *.bl4 files are installed. And patchs

3. SolusLunes says:

Sounds almost like what I'm making- except instead of Socket 7, I'm doing a Slot 1 Pentium 2. God, slot loading CPUs! What a time to be alive.

4. exxor9108 says:

Oooh! Another video from LGR? Don't mind if I do! 😀

5. volvo09 says:

Did the p133 have mmx? I remember having to drop back to one after blowing up my k6-3 and some games didn't work anymore.

6. Tony B says:

This is pretty close to a system I built back in the day. I'm grinning ear to ear watching your video. Ah, good times. Good times. 🙂

7. Maybe jump online and play some duke3d with Kali95 😁👍

8. stoffhimel says:

ah. that boot up sounds. that really takes me back to my childhood.

9. Paradox Guy says:

This is what i want to end my day on a good note.

10. Lota nostalgia for me here, first board I grenaded 😁, good memories everytime I watch you Clint. My late father would be proud

11. perreterecon says:

What a great channel Ahoy

12. who gives a flying fuck?

13. love this video, like I said in my previous comment I really do miss old hardware like that, I grew up on Windows 95 and Sega Genesis and N64

14. DenebTM says:

Couldn't the smaller of those two wavetable cards have fit in between the ISA slots, possibly?

15. dcikaruga says:

That machine probably could of handled Half Life reasonably well.

16. James H says:

That 95 startup sound. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

17. Jim Flagg says:

Should play Wing Commander 2 on it. That was the game I was building to around this time.

18. b risky says:

OH MY GOD INTERSTATE 76
    what an absolutely legendary game

19. krazislav says:

Ah, the times when AMD processors were pin compatible with Intel… and Intel actually released newer generation processors that fit in the same socket…

20. Question: "What are the main elements of a classic LGR video?"
    Me: "Duke3D, Woodgrain, Canyon.mid and Farts/Balls."

21. damn this thing is older than me and I'm not the youngest lol

22. Sounds like my very first Windows PC – AMD K6 and a Voodoo II.
    ;D

23. one day you will need an apprentice to continue your legacy!

24. I love it, but i miss Turok on there

25. Mr T. says:

Uhhh – that feels like something I've owned in some similar configuration back in the day – thanks 🙂

26. Jumpbase says:

It's crazy to see AMD and Intel on the same Socket

27. Joshua Jayne says:

That was close to my setup gaming in that era.

28. how the hell are you supposed to cable manage ribbon cables. That's the thing that bothers me the most about these retro builds. I suppose the components don't get all that hot, but after seeing how neat things can be now, it's kind of awful.

29. I still have a collection of k6 chips

30. mxthunder2 says:

I love that you saw the need and had the nostalgia to build something in between those rigs. You have a nice spread of machines now, including your XP dream machine you built. I am also building out a retro fleet similar with a 1997 S7 rig, a 1999 Slot 1 rig, a 2000/2001 S370 rig, a 2003 socket A rig and a 2004 S478 rig.

31. Isn't there some flat cable that you can use to connect a wave table card?

32. Rad902 says:

Dude, you must get this a lot but your videos are a retro-PC enthusiast’s wet dream!! Thank you for your videos and for keeping the curiosity alive. 👍👍👍

33. Karl Long says:

Just what I needed this morning, Thanks Clint!

34. MAGIK says:

3DFX glide drivers, pioneers of the day! get some rollcage on there cracking 1996 game.

35. Pippan says:

Perfect start to my weekend 🙂

36. Flammer says:

Oh my!! My first PC had a k6 cpu! What a comfortable memory :3

37. Space Cowboy says:

Duuude, that's what I started out with – a K6-200 with an S3-virge and later a Riva128 card. At some point I also upgraded to a Voodoo2 card as well. Awesome!

38. jbmcb says:

Hey, that was my first decent gaming PC! AMDK62-300, Voodoo3 (originally Matrox G200, then upgraded) and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. I played a lot of Quake 2 and FF7 on that machine. Eventually upgraded to an Athlon to play Morrowind.

39. D Z says:

Ahhh…. I used to sale those at my first tech job. I always wanted to test performance with that TAG chip, but never got around to it.

40. A B says:

You're a pimp and a cool!

41. Samuel Blair says:

Every old pc build requires a small blood sacrifice.

42. MD4564 says:

Love these videos… 😀 Wasn't a POD a original MMX release ? It certainty bundled. Looks like the Pentium that you had was not MMX. (An Pentium MMX overdrive 166 or 200 was an option though)

43. ankhtahr says:

I love that many of these components are available for emulation via PCem, so I can sort of share this experience, without paying more money than I could afford… PCem isn't perfect, but it's probably the closest to the real thing one can get with emulation at the moment.

44. niboroku says:

13:12 the Retro Gods demand a blood sacrifice!

45. I tell people there was a time when AMD and Intel used the same sockets . People think I'm lying 😂😂

46. 1st pc I ever built was a AMD K6-2! Played the crap out of Blood 2 and Shogo